Friday, October 9, 2015

Scraps..........What to do with them? Using my imagination

    Okay, so I've now been able to really start sewing and I guess if I were a perfectionist, I would consider myself way behind but I will not allow myself to put that kind of undo pressure on myself because that would defeat the purpose of this being a sewing journey.  I will get the projects done one at a time.

So today or rather last night and into the wee hours of this morning I focused on some quilt blocks.  Rather than go out and buy more material,( an addictive sewer and quilter habit) I decided to utilize the huge fabric stash that I already owned.  Now I'm so glad that I had previously taken the time to actually cut some of my fabric stash of scraps into 2 1/2 inch, 3 1/2 , and 5 inch squares.  This was an idea that I got from the book Scrap Therapy Cut the Scraps: 7 Steps to Quilting Your Way through Your Stash by Joan Ford.


Now she recommends 2 inch squares but I love 2.5 so much I chose to go that route instead.  I have to say that utilizing this method with your scraps or quilting fabric in general has been very efficient and really does allow you to just jump right into sewing.  I put my squares into those clear plastic boxes.  Now this first stash of squares  I cut up a long while back so I saved a lot of time.  I'm so glad I did.  I can't begin to tell you just how much this handy method has saved.  My only problem was what was I going to make because nothing really matched .




So rather than mull over it anymore, I opted to just jump right in and I'm glad that I did.  It gave me an opportunity to practice my quarter-inch seams. Needless to say many of the blocks that I created were very simple.  Just a plain 4 patch block.  I came up with a few variations and color combinations of solids, prints, and batiks.  I even did some upcyling of old jeans and mixed them with some flannel and cotton fabrics. I have to now figure out how to post my pictures so that you all can see my creations.

I can't quite decide what I'm going to make so I'm just going to go with the flow. I'm so glad I have a  1/4 in foot.  It has worked wonders with keeping my seams straight.  I love that foot.  So I'm thinking what do with these blocks?  Another day for another time......................


Sincerely,

The Sew Stormer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking for Something to do for your child this summer? Try Super Sewing Camps 2019

Register at   https://apm.activecommunities.com/cityofpflugerville/Activity_Search?txtActivitySearch=sewing&applyFiltersDefaultValue=...